Sunday 17 June 2012

Week 15&16: Subjective & Objective Angles and Assessment 2

So... this is one of the hardest concepts people in my class were trying to get their heads around. By the end of the class some people still couldn't quite grasp it. It is confusing but after going over it a couple of time it started to make sense. Now I'm going to try my best to explain it how I understand it.

Subjective is all about the characters emotions
  • When the camera faces the central character it captures their emotions.
  • Close up shots are good for subjective shots.
  • If the shot goes from the characters face to their point of view and then back to their face, revealing their reaction/emotion, the shot stays subjective.

When I figured this out I realised how much easier it was to film a whole scene using just subjective angles. This is what our assignment was all about, filming one page of script actions in entirely Subjective or Objective angles but not both.

Objective is about what the characters are doing in the scene.
  • When there are 2 or more people in the shot.
  • If the central character turns away from the camera it becomes an objective shot.
  • When it's an over the shoulder shot.
  • Long shots because you can't see the characters face/emotions properly.

Most people thought doing it all objective would be the easiest way because they just needed to do long shots or over the shoulder shots. I decided to do the more challenging option of subjective angles.

I filmed the scene using myself and my brother at my house. My brother was the Sharp Dressed Man (SDM) and I was the Shady Looking Character (SLC). The SDM was transporting a briefcase to a meeting point while the SLC was watching him. The SDM gets to the meeting point but the people he is waiting for are late. The SLC come up next to him and grabs the briefcase and runs, leaving a stunned SDM.

After I filmed it, I realised it wasn't totally subjective. I should have done some more close up shots instead of long shots

Here it is
http://youtu.be/2xbe9c0YHlI

No comments:

Post a Comment